05 March 2012

Let the rest begin!


Phew! We are certainly glad that the stitch is in and everything went well. It's like a weight has been lifted off our shoulders!

We felt very relaxed going into hospital. It felt like months of anxiety had come to an end, even though we were hours away from the surgery. I felt fine right up until the moment I got wheeled into pre-surgery and had to say goodbye to Tom. I asked the anesthetist if there were any risks having a general anaesthetic while pregnant and she said "Do you need to have the stitch?" "Um, yes" "Do you want to bite on a piece of wood during the surgery?" "Um, no" "Okay, then don't worry about the risks".

I got taken into the operating room and got asked to count to 10 while the anesthetist administered the anaesthetic and a team of nurses started inserting tubes and sticking wires all over me. I got to 4.

I woke up in post-surgery and was shaking like crazy so a nurse covered me in warm blankets and gave me oxygen. I realised I was in the worst pain but it was exactly like my obstetrician (Ob) described it would be, so I tried not to worry.
I was taken back up to my room where Tom was waiting and he said that my Ob had called him straight after the surgery and told him it went very well. My Ob came up a few hours later and did an ultrasound to show me that all was well.. Boy, it was such a relief to see that little baby still wriggling around!

I spent the next few days being monitored to make sure my cervix did not 'react' to the stitch. I was given more pain killers in that 48 hours than I have ever had in my life. I was so worried and I had to ask about 10 people "Are you sure this is safe to take while pregnant?" before I took anything.

Just before I was about to go home I felt quite short of breath and I casually mentioned to the nurse that I was having trouble breathing.. all of a sudden I had about 10 doctors in the room, cords attached all over me and was rushed down to the cardiac ward. Tom rushed to the hospital and the cardiologist told us that they were just waiting for tests to see if I had had a heart attack or a blot clot in my lung. I thought all I said is that 'I was a little out of breath' and all of a sudden there were alarms going off. We were told by the nurse that most likely everything is fine, you just need to be extra cautious when someone has come out of surgery. We finally got the all clear and were allowed to go home.

And now.. 270 days of bed rest!

For some strange reason (lets call it boredom) Tom decided to take pictures of me every few minutes. Glad we have that experience captured so persistently.


Alison said...

So glad to hear that all went well Katie. I have had you in my thoughts all weekend.

Elsie.Sydee said...

I am so so glad everything's okay! I've been reading for a while and this makes me so happy. You so deserve this. Congratulations!

little miss olive said...

so glad to hear that everything went well...now for some (lots of!) rest.

Kimberley said...

I'm pleased to read this update.
I don't know what else to say except I'm wishing you lots of luck, love and support for the bed rest part of your journey.

joanna said...

so brave, so brave. what a mother's love will do for her child xxx wishing you lots of rest and no more trips to the hospital till the day your little one arrives! xxxx

Anonymous said...

So very happy to hear the surgery went well Katie.
I hope you have lots to keep you occupied during your months of bed rest...it's what got me through :)


Jess @ Caffeine and Tutus said...

So happy to hear everything went well! Thinking of you and your gorgeous family xx

Kristina said...

I just found your beautiful blog - justed wanted to say HI and I hope that you are feeling better soon! Happy to hear that the surgery went well! Take good care of yourself! all the best, Kristina

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment.. It is nice to know that there is someone out there (other than my husband) reading my posts! Xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...