There are a handful of recipes that we call the 'Porter family favourites'.. and this is one of them. Its so delicious and very easy to make..
450g packet of frozen spinach
1 sheet of shortcrust pastry (or you can make your own)
3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
100g haloumi cheese, grated
120g feta cheese, crumbled
1 tablespoon oregano sprigs
60mls (1/4 cup) cream
lemon wedges, to serve
1. Preheat oven to 210 degrees Celsius
2. Squeeze the excess liquid out of the spinach
3. Place the pastry on a baking tray and spread the spinach in the middle leaving a 3cm border around the edge
4. Sprinkle the garlic over the spinach followed by the feta and haloumi
5. Sprinkle with oregano and season well
6. Cut a short slit in each corner of the pastry and fold each side in to form a border around the pastry
7. Lightly beat the eggs with the cream and pour the mixture over the spinach and cheese filling
8. Bake for about 30 minutes or until the pastry is golden and the filling is set
9. Serve with lemon wedges (and a big salad)
This recipe now takes me about 5 minutes to make and you can also try other variations like feta and ricotta (I usually use whatever we have in the fridge at the time)..
I hope it become one of your family favourites too..